What is the difference between copywriting and copyright?

Copywriting often gets mixed up with copyright. But just like the words “through” and “threw” as I’m currently trying to explain to my 5 year old kid, they mean two completely different concepts.

Copyright are the legal rights to certain creative works. Remember when you were a teenager and you used LimeWire to download Eminem’s latest album? Well, that music was copyrighted and technically what you were doing was illegal.

A copywriter on the other hand, is a person who writes words for promotions and advertisements. Basically, they write words that sell.

What does a copywriter actually do?

We’ve established that copywriters write words that sell. And in a real estate world there are many things a copywriter can assist you with including the crafting of the following:

  • Property listing descriptions
  • Agent video scripts
  • Agent biographies
  • Blogs
  • Editorials
  • Website content
  • Newsletters, letters and brochures (print and online)
  • Anything really.

I originally started Write My Ad as an ad writing agency, specialising in property copy. These days that probably accounts for about 70% of my work, the other 30% is spent writing mostly blogs, letters and social media posts.

How do you write a property description?

Two questions I get asked the most when it comes to writing property descriptions is “How does it work?” followed by, “Do you have to come and see the property?”

Here at Write My Ad, the majority of my property descriptions are written remotely using photos and floor plans emailed to me by the agent. I’ve written ads from dodgy photos taken on iPhones and floorplans written on the back of a napkin. Obviously, the more information you can provide along with nice clear images and a floorplan – the better the ad quality. For example, it’s difficult to tell from a photo if that’s a Miele oven or bamboo flooring.  I also use googlemaps to conduct research into the location and surrounding areas.

If you’re a Brisbane based agency, I can accommodate onsite inspections subject to availability. This is very useful if you have a tight turn around or require an accompanying editorial to go with it as it’s worthwhile having a chat to the owner to see if we can spin a story.

As for the format, some agents have very strict requirements as to how they prefer them to be written, others give me licence to write whatever I feel is best. A copywriter should be able to adapt and write to any tone and work with you to meet the needs of you and your client.